Friday, August 1, 2008

Sleepy Cats

I promised a friend I'd send her pictures of my pampered cats. I thought I'd do myself one better by posting it here. These cats are now second and third generation cats from the original female actually owned by my landlord. We moved into the vacant room and then she sort of moved in with us. Without further ado, I present the kitties who have the run of my room.

Meet Seven, so named because of the shape of his tail. He's the singer of the group. He comes into the room and meows so loudly until you give him attention. When I arrive from the office, his normal greeting is to rise up on his hind legs, reach up and actually "climb up" to my shoulders and then jump off.

This is Kachiko, named after one of my favorite characters off the Legend of the Rings series. The name befits the cat too. Kachiko the cat has been prolific; less than two years old and already, she's given birth thrice. She's really the reason why, for a time, I actually tended to seven cats.

Tsuko. Sweet little cat. My only complaint really is that she likes to lie down on my laptop bag. Wherever I put it, she finds it. It's uncanny. I suppose she makes good use of those natural hunting skills. When I head for the office the next day, I have to make sure I dust off the bag since it will have he fur all over it.


Meet Tetsuo, again named after one of my favorite Legend of the Five Rings characters (are you sensing a pattern here?). He's one of three of Kachiko's latest litter. He's a cute little one. His favorite spot, as evidenced in this photo is the top of the fridge. Sadly though, he went out of the room one day and never came back. My landlord said he was run over by a taxi. Poor thing. This is in memory of him.

Ayame, Tetsuo's sister. Her favorite spot is the upper right corner of my bed. She's a feisty little fireball. She and Tetsuo run around the room, wreaking havoc everywhere and just when I'm about to scream my lungs out at the mess they leave in their paths, they look up at me with those puzzled little looks so I forget what it was I was angry about. She took ill and passed away last week. I'm gonna miss her.


And last but not least is Mew Two -- Two because I used to have a white and brown cat we named Mew. I must confess that he's my most favorite one of the bunch, in the same way that Mew before was the dearest one to me. He's not at all related to the others posted above. I was on my way to the gym one afternoon when I spotted him meowing near the bushes on the sidestreet. Actually, it was more like he spotted me cause when he saw me, he followed me, meowing so loudly. I was shooing him away cause I was walking in the middle of the street and I feared he might get run over but he wouldn't listen and kept following me. I had no choice then but to pick him up and carry him home. He was so small then that he fit right in the palm of my hand. Now, he's so heavy, when he walks over my chest, I grunt.

He's the sweetest little thing. He makes this odd positions when he sleeps on the floor (we joke that it's as if he's fallen from the ceiling). And while he usually roams around the village (well maybe not the entire village) after he's had dinner, he comes in through my window at around midnight and snuggles close to me and sleeps with his head tucked on my shoulder.


They say people who live with pets have lower stress levels. I suppose that's true. Taking care of someone else gives you a greater perspective and just being with them lowers your stress. After they've raised it of course for almost wrecking the house.

No comments: