Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Chapter

I hadn't realized that this blog was still alive until I decided it was time to create a new one.  I had signed up for a wordpress account last but wasn't really keen on continuing that one.  so i thought to myself, what other free bloghosting site do i know?  blogspot! of course!

so i hurriedly typed blogspot.com on my opera browser and then it somehow led me to my dashboard.  i later realized it was because i was also signed into my gmail account so it automatically redirected me to by blog dashboard.

and so i guess it was time to resurrect this blog from the ashes -- like the proverbial phoenix rising.  after all, i do have time to kill now.  the title is befitting my current state in life too.  i truly am starting a new chapter.

after five years of working for a retail company and some of the happiest and the not-too-happy memories of what seems like a lifetime ago now, i'm literally starting over...in bangkok.  i am now on the 3rd week of my new job -- as head of marketing for the lamborghini and lotus dealer here.

this isn't my first time in bangkok.  this, i fact, is my third time to fly here.  i have always loved it.  but i found out soon enough that vacationing and actually working long-term here (and thus, settling), are two very different edges of a pole.  my filipino friends here have warned me before coming that i should bring only my third-grade english to work.  and true enough, i have had to choose only the simplest of words, the shortest of sentences and sometimes, must deliberately use the wrong grammar if i wanted to be understood.  lord, my english teachers must be turning in their grave.

i no sooner understood why a lot of foreigners maintain a blog when they move to bangkok for work reasons too -- cause you need an outlet that still underlines your english words in red when you misspell it and underlines it in green when you use the wrong grammar.  and yes, i am fully aware that i do not capitalize any of my letters here as i should. let's just chalk it up to artistic license.

but seriously, if you do not have an outlet like this, i'm scared about how my english skills are going to turn out.  consider how because of texting, people's spelling skills have not been as sharp.  i dread the day when i come home to the philippines and suddenly find myself ensconced within the confines of what we term carabao-english. 

i also now know that the other reason why people here maintain a blog is because there truly are a lot of things to be said about thai culture, the thai people, and basically trying to fit in.  some sad, some happy, some embarassing, and some downright exasperating.  when you find yourself in an office where the people that surround you speak in a foreign tongue, you kinda become alone with your thoughts and need an outlet lest you go crazy.

and so, in a bid to save my sanity (cause lord knows i'm dangerous enough as it is sane.  who knows how dangerous i will be once i give myself up to the dark side and decide to lose my sanity, teehee), let this blog rise from the ashes in bangkok!

No comments: